Monday, January 2, 2012

Embracing Joy

Recently I was talking with a good friend of mine about the many troubles that seem to be plaguing people these days.  As we were discussing how hard things can be in day to day life he made a statement that saddened me.  He said, "No one has joy anymore.  We are so consumed with just getting through the day, there is no joy to be found.  No one wakes up happy or is excited to start a new day."  The comment got me thinking....was he right?  Are we so overwhelmed by our trials that we can't see the love and happiness surrounding us? 

My first thought was to be defensive (as usual). What was he talking about? I feel happy all the time.  I don't dread getting out of bed.  I see blessings surrounding me every day.  But as I considered my life more closely I began to wonder, 'Do I show the joy I feel?'.  Sure I am most always happy to wake up and take on the day and there is barely a day that goes by when I don't feel content to be alive and making my way through life, but does anyone around me know that?  Can people look at me and see happiness in how I act and speak?  Am I hiding the joy that I feel inside?

The dictionary defines joy as: The emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune or by the prospect of posessing what one desires.  The sun is shinning, birds are singing, I make enough money to cover my needs and some wants, I am surrounded by great co-workers and wonderful family/friends and have a God who knows my every thought and need before I even realize it.  My life emminates well-being, I have a level of success, I have good forturne and the prospect of obtaining eternal life.  I have the very definition of joy in my grasp.  Sadly, I don't always show that joy to others or even recognize it myself.

It is time to embrace the joy I have been given and share it with others.  It is time to prove to my friend that his statement is incorrect, there is joy in this life....sometimes we're just too human to see it for what it is. 

2 comments:

  1. As you can see, I finally made it here. I've really enjoyed reading your blogs. Even though a number of them made me cry, also a number of them made me smile. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you momma, glad you found it. Love you back.

    ReplyDelete