Tuesday, February 7, 2012

In the Stillness of Morning

I love early mornings, no love is not strong enough of a word, I adore them.  The feeling of quiet peace and joy that overwhelms me when I watch the world wake up is more than I can put into words.  Not all mornings are equal.  Some are more perfect than others, this morning was a more perfect one.  Let me set the scene for you...

It's about 6:30 and the sky is dark.  The air is cool, but clouds moved in overnight trapping the dissipating heat of the desert so that there is no biting wind as I ride my bike across campus.  While I pedal I am struck with the silence of deserted walkways and buildings. The only sounds I hear are the clicking of my pedals and the constant swish of my bike pants. It is early enough that only the most brave or ludicrous staff members are making their presence known.  As I ride the light in the sky changes lazily from cobalt to indigo then navy blue with the edges lined in copper.  I can't decide what to watch, the black birds flying silently against a stunning sunrise or the ever swelling light that plays against sandstone and brick buildings bringing out a shy blush from beneath their hard facade.  All the while I hear the quiet click clicking of my pedals, like rhythmic waves against the shoreline of my ears.  It is as though I can feel the earth shrug off it's blanket and rise for the day.  I stop for a moment to soak in the sights and sounds of the day's quiet arousal, as I do I am struck with the knowledge that this is the one moment of my day when the world is perfect.  All things are right and my heart is at rest.

Waking from my momentary stupor I see there are several people milling about now, on their way to work or school.  A part of me is sad to move forward into the mania that is sure to come, but I am full of hope and joy for what the day will bring.  For I know it's secrets.  I have stopped and watched the day rise from it's slumber and shake off the encumbering dew of night.  I have seen it's beauty and promise in the stillness of morning.    

2 comments:

  1. I really like this but I wish you would have included a disclaimer at the beginning that the style of this post was going to be poetic. . .

    hahaha I'm just kidding :)

    Actually, I really LOVE this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, nice. :) I'm just all poetical, deal with it.

    ReplyDelete