Thursday, September 8, 2011

The smallest ripple awakens even the most still waters

Okay, originally my plan was to post every day.....but.  (I always like to get a little but in there) The reality of working a 13:20hr shift is by the time I get home, clean up and eat I'm depleted and it's already time for bed.  So, from here on out you won't hear from me Mon-Weds nights.  Instead I will give you an update on Thursday mornings.  That way I can build suspense and all that goodness....cuz I know you can't wait to hear what I have to say. :)  Now on to my week thus far.

Monday was a pretty average day, and I wouldn't say I did something crazy or exciting by any stretch.  I did, however, start something that I hope will be life changing even in it's simpleness.  I typically wake up for work at about 4:30am, 4:45 if I'm pushing it, to get ready to leave by 5am.  I made a conscious decision on Monday to begin getting up at 4:15am and spending that extra 15minutes praying and studying scriptures.  Now, I've been working on my personal study time a lot the last couple months and have been pretty regular about picking up the scriptures and reading at least a couple times a week. But I wanted this to be different.  I wanted to take the time, not just to read the word of God or to say a quick prayer before getting up but to stop and truly dedicate my day to the Lord.  To ask Him to guide my words, thoughts and deeds.  To pray for those in need and to give me grace to follow Him more. 

I don't know why, but that extra 15minutes in bed is crazy tempting. Even so, I got myself out of bed and went to the living room where I immediately knelt in prayer.  The house was dark and perfectly still as I poured my heart out to my maker. As I lifted my head and sat up to read I could feel my mind become sharper and focused.  The sleepy stupor normally associated with dawn was gone as I read about Ruth and her obedience.  As I read I considered all of the women in the Bible who are examples of Godly women, and how from a child we are taught to be like them.  Then a thought so simple and clear came to my mind, "You should not want to be like these women.  They are not your goal.  You should want to be like you, a woman striving to serve God.  That is who you need to be." I wanted to laugh with the simple joy the thought gave me.  Of course! If I keep trying to be like these women, I am holding them on some strange pedestal they don't need and probably wouldn't want.  I need to focus on being ME, the best me, the me who strives to follow God.

So, I started my day working on me. And it was a crazy good day!

Tuesday, I once again woke up and had a devotional time with the Lord.  However, I was halfway through the day thinking, "I guess I have nothing to show for this day, because I have not seen any new opportunities or ways to step out of myself."  Right then I saw a co-worker of mine who I know does weight lifting on a regular basis. I have been wanting to learn proper weight lifting and infuse it into my new work out regimen, but I didn't know who to ask or how to go about it without finding a personal trainer which costs more than I am willing to spend at the moment.  As I went past my co-worker I thought, "why not just ask him".  Well....I am not someone to 'just ask' anyone for anything, much less people that I am not close with.  It's not a matter of pride for me, but fear.  I'm always afraid I will be shot down and just decide it's better not to ask.  I hesitated....passed him by and knew this was my one shot to be brave.  I doubled back and felt like a fool as I asked for help.  I thought my face would break in half with how much I was smiling when he said, without hesitation, sure I can help you out with that.  Let's make a plan for next week. Score!!!!!  I thought my adventure was over for the day, but God had more in store.

After lunch time I stepped into a quiet office for a break when the same co-worker came in.  We chatted back and forth for a few minutes and he began to ask me about my church and what I believe.  I felt a small knot of fear in my gut and was unsure of how to proceed but I said a quick prayer in my head and forged on sharing what knowledge I have of church history and what was on my heart.  The conversation lasted about a half hour, and by the time it was over my mind and emotions were exhausted but I was at peace.  I had opened my mouth and shared the word of God, talk about going out of your comfort zone!



Looking collectively over the last three days of my week you may not see differences that you consider to be significant or life changing.  But I would disagree with you.  I keep my personal world to myself when I'm at work.  Partly out of protecting myself and partly out of fear.  Those are two horrible reasons to withhold from my co-workers the best parts of my life.  I have to learn to be the change in my environment and that may take small changes over time.  But you know what they say about small pebbles dropped in the water.... 

2 comments:

  1. You go girl!!! Ha ha... I found it! Can't keep me away...only problem is that I feel like I am stalking you... Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, you're not stalking if I invited you!

    ReplyDelete