Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Day of Rest Fully Realized

There have been a few questions bouncing around in my head regarding my new commitment to myself. How do I do one new, scary and different thing every day when I still have to fit in my life responsibilities (working 14hr days, church etc.)?

I had fully decided to report to you my failure for today when I realized it is not even four o'clock on a Sunday and my clothes for work are being washed, my lunch is ready, and I have (for the first time since I cannot remember when) completely been at rest all day. Now, you may not see this as a new, exciting or different thing worthy of commenting on. But that would be because you don't know my usual Sunday routine.

You see, Sunday is known as being the day of rest. Historically businesses worldwide closed on Sundays, the world stopped moving to honor God and to center themselves before beginning another hectic week. God himself set the example for us by resting on the seventh day! But what does a normal Sunday mean for me? Constant movement at a dizzying pace. Let me lay out for you a 'normal' Sunday.

7am: wake up and get Sunday School lessons ready
8am: get myself ready
9:30ish: go pick up Aunt Donna
9:45am: teach Sunday School
11am: Sermon
12pm: potluck at church
2pm: run home and get wash started
3:30pm: back to church for choir
4:30pm: run back home to switch loads and feed my dog
5:30pm: back to church to lead song service
6pm: night church
7:30pm: back home to finish laundry and get dinner before going to bed

Where exactly in all of that going is my time to rest and reflect? I am more exhausted at the end of a Sunday than any other day of the week. Pretty much exactly opposite of what the day was originally intended for!

So, today I made a change. One that I hope will stick. I still did Sunday School and went to services, but I went home right after and have spent my afternoon resting. I have studied scripture, done my laundry and simply sat reflecting on the purpose of this blessed day set aside to glorify my God. I cannot tell you what a difference it has been!! I am calm, centered and feel completely refreshed. My normal rushed anxious beginning of the week fervor has been replaced with stillness. The house is quiet as the late afternoon light streams through the windows. The only sounds are my laundry, the air conditioning and the typing of my keys as I write to you. So this is what a Sunday should feel like! This is a day I could grow to love like never before!!

Such a small change, with such a great and immediate impact on my life. I cannot thank my Lord enough for this His day of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment